One of the first things I did for Android was translating SecretBox and during that translation I noticed a problem with capital letters with Umlauts in icon menus. Like ÄÖÜ so I raised a bug in the Android bugtracker. Since I am trying to understand the whole Android Platform I thought it would be fun to investigate and possibly fix the bug. After getting my Development Environment all set up I have now started to look deeper into the Bug, did my first code modifications and wanted to rebuild. And that’s were I got stuck. Since the only way I knew of building android was with the “make” command and that took for ever. So I had to find a better solution and help came asap from the #android IRC channel.
I got a link to this page Building, running, and debugging Android source which perfectly explains how to build the Android framework classes. Here is the condensed info:
Set up the environment first
$ source build/envsetup.sh
$ lunch 1
Build the framework
$ mmm frameworks/base
And sync the changes to the emulator.
$ adb remount
$ adb shell stop
$ adb sync
$ adb shell start
When you do this you don’t even need to restart the emulator. Which makes the development process so much more easy.
The only annoyance that I discovered right now is that I had to completely kill the Android Development Tools out of my Eclipse since the DDMS made problems when I wanted to debug the Framework. Since I am going to develop my Android apps mainly on my Windows machine that hopefully wont be such a big issue. But it’s something that I want to fix in the future.